Impact on Self-Confidence
Think back to when you were young. Who helped you to believe in yourself and what you could accomplish? Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors, donors, families, advocates, and supporters work hard to encourage and support today's children. When those children believe in themselves and what they can accomplish, they'll enjoy better relationships with their friends, families, and peers, and they'll help create safer, stronger communities.
What our Littles say
Our impact on our Little's self confidence is confirmed by those closest to it: our Littles. In a 2009, we commissioned industry leader Civic Enterprises to conduct a nationwide survey of our Bigs and Littles. The results speak volumes about the ways in which Big Brothers Big Sisters helps to change a child's life for the better, forever:
- Despite the barriers they face, 94% of Littles said they have a lot or some confidence they will achieve their goals.
- 93% of Littles said to have adults who care and look out for them is very important to helping them achieve their goals.
- 80% of Littles said they feel their Bigs help them a lot.
What our alumni say
Our impact on a child's self-confidence and emotional well-being is felt long after Littles graduate from high school. In 2009, Harris Interactive conducted an online survey of alumni Littles from across the nation. Among those former Littles,
- 90% agreed their Big made them feel better about themselves.
- 86% agreed they lead a fulfilling life.
- 72% said they are satisfied or extremely satisfied with their relationships with friends.
Research About Big Brothers Big Sisters Programs
Impact on Education
Evidence shows that being matched through Big Brothers Big Sisters can make a big difference in how a child performs in school and how he or she feels about school in general.